Post Title: Senior Engineer, Civil
Reporting To: Directors
Location: Company Offices based in Antrim, there will be a requirement for travel to client premises and short-term overnight stays. By discussion/agreement, if the successful applicant has a preference, we would also be able to facilitate a work location at one of our sister company sites in Portlaoise, Dublin, Cork or Galway.
Hours of Work: Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
Purpose of Job:
- To co-ordinate and manage technical project activity within assigned workload.
- To provide technical expertise in Civil Engineering and support engineering design on all assigned projects.
- To manage, mentor and assist the development of other civil engineering staff assigned to you.
- To assist in the development of the Company’s business.
Main Function of Job:
- Working as part of a multi-discipline team, to lead the development of the Civil design, to enable implementation by a sub-contractor. This includes the development of:
- Design of projects from conceptual phase through to project completion e.g., energy projects including renewables, pipelines and installations (gas, oil, water or wastewater), industrial buildings & utilities.
- Statutory requirements for new developments
- Design of new and modifications to existing gas and water installations.
- Design requirements for energy projects such as Solar, Hydro, CHP and Power Stations.
- Design of other energy infrastructure related projects.
- Tendering documentation including cost estimates
- Procurement and Installation Specifications
- Detail Design Drawings and Documentation
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Structural Steel Design
- Calculations and Technical Reports
- Inspections and Condition Reports
- Health and Safety Documentation
- Provide technical expertise and assistance on projects assigned to others as required.
- To line manage a group of civil engineers/designers, ensuring:
- Efficient use of resources across projects
- Compliance with all relevant specifications, standards and safety regulations
- Clear communication within the civil design team and with other disciplines
- Staff development needs are addressed, on the job, or supplemented by training where practical
- To manage the Company’s sub-contractors during construction, commissioning and hand over on EPC/EPCm projects and ensure that sub-contractor personnel are properly briefed and where required, supervised and adequately trained to complete the specified work.
- Provide technical support and liaison with the Company’s clients.
- Assist in the on-site commissioning and hand over on EPC/EPCm projects.
- Ensure the expedient and timely completion of specific tasks on assigned projects and provide related feedback to the management.
- Evaluate the work content of project enquiries and assist with the preparation of quotations.
- Prepare an agreed detailed definition for the scope of projects based on the client’s requirements.
- Plan and implement project activities within the civil discipline.
- Review and approve for release project documentation and drawings.
- Review for release project related purchase orders, countersigned by Project Manager/Director.
- Review tender and vendor submissions for suitability and compliance.
- Co-ordinate civil design on assigned projects throughout all stages of conception, design, development, etc., through to archiving.
- Manage the preparation and distribution of project related documentation throughout the Company.
- Maintain and develop technical and operational procedures in accordance with the Integrated Management System to allow efficient and proper transfer of design data.
- Assist clients in the preparation of their budgets and provide the Company’s clients with technical and commercial support.
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards and statutory requirements.
- Provide technical support, guidance and direction to Company employees.
- Conduct personnel performance assessments for employees whom you line manage.
- Monitor the performance and ability of assigned employees to carry out their work tasks and provide suitable mentoring and in house training. Advise Directors of particular external training requirements.
- Promote the services and capabilities of the Company.
- Conduct site investigations and data collection/ collation surveys as directed.
- Review and approve drawings and specifications, complete calculations, prepare any other technical, commercial or safety documentation for submission to the client for approval or for inclusion in bids, studies, tender packages, construction issue and operational/ maintenance manuals.
- Ensure that all personnel engaged on an assigned project are fully informed and supported, enabling them to complete their work effectively.
- Provide regular project status reports, technical and commercial, allowing management to monitor the progress and status of assigned projects.
- Initiate investigations into cost, availability and suitability of components and equipment for incorporation into project designs.
- Assist in the development of project specific H&S/CDM documentation in line with all relevant legislation and industry best practice.
- Perform the tasks of Project Leader on specific projects.
- Where applicable, assist accounts department in the preparation of monthly invoices
- Undertake occupational training in order to develop personal and technical skills, as directed by the Company management.
- Keep abreast of changing regulatory and industry standards.
- Provide site support to client where required.
- Keep work areas tidy.
The above list is not exhaustive and you may be required to do additional and / or alternative duties as and when required.
Skills and Experience
- Degree qualification or higher in a relevant engineering subject.
- Will have performed the role of Project Engineer/Civil Design Engineer for a minimum of 7 years within an industrial or process environment.
- Experience working in legislative regulated environments e.g. H&S, Hazardous Area.
- Will be experienced in dealing with clients, suppliers and contractors at both a technical and commercial level.
- Experience of producing cost estimates and managing work within a budget.
- Confident in handling and interpreting numerical data and information.
- Able to produce concise and accurate oral and written reports in the English language.
- Must be computer literate, using MS Office applications and other civil software used by the company.
- Able to relate technical issues to other team members.
- Able to plan and organize own work.
- Able to command respect of others when acting in a supervisory role.
- Able to provide guidance to other employees and project groups.
- Possess a full driving licence and have access to a vehicle for use on Company business
- Having the Right to Work in UK/Ireland
- Chartered Engineer with Professional membership of an appropriate institution.
- Experience of operating within a quality, safety and environmental management system complying with the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001.
- Experience of project delivery of civil installations in an industrial environment e.g. petro/chem process, effluent / waste water processing, manufacturing facilities, etc.
The nature of the post may change over time to meet the changing needs of the Company.
If you are interested in applying for this post, please write to us at HR@pde.co.uk, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why this post is of interest to you.